Monday, August 27, 2012

Roxane's Vietnamese Family

When I was in Vietnam last November, I visit Quynh, a girl who I have been providing a scholarship for since 2004. Her mother died and her father is in prison. She, her older sister, Thai, and her two younger brothers were being cared for by their old Grandfather. Because of my $50 a year scholarship Quynh was able to stay in school, unlike her older sister, Thai, who was forced to drop out of school in her early teens to help earn money for her family. Thai sold vegetables on the street and could make about 50 cents per day.  On one of my visits, Quynh told me she wanted to be a doctor and I wondered how this shy girl from a small farming village would ever be able to make her dream come true. Two years ago when Quynh graduated from high school she took her college entrance exams and scored so high that she was accepted to Hanoi Medical University, the top medical school in Vietnam. It is simply amazing to me how our modest contribution, only $50 a year, an amount my husband and I do not even miss, could have such a life changing effect on another person's life. I am so proud of Quynh. Of course we were pleased to continue our sponsorship of Quyen. For $250 a year we are able to provide the life changing scholarship for her medical degree. And when I think about it, I know that the money that I have provided for her scholarship is nothing compared to the friendship and overwhelming gratitude that I have received from Quynh and her family. I have truly received more than I have given. There are a lot of children like Quynh who just need a chance at a good education to pull themselves, and often times their entire family, out of poverty.  Perhaps you might consider donating a scholarship and making a huge difference in the life of a child.

Blogged by Roxane Svoboda


Roxane Svoboda is HSCV's Chairwoman of the Board of Directors and has made several trips to visit HSCV programs. If you are sponsor and would like to share your experience please contact HSCV. We would love to hear from you. To learn how you can become a sponsor please visit www.hscv.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment