Thursday, March 26, 2009

Class of Success

For the first year, HSCV is offering scholarships to a group of students to pursue their education further beyond high school. This is a milestone move to break the cycle of poverty. These scholarships offer exciting opportunities to excel and be successful in life. Without which, these children would be confined to work in the rice fields given their family circumstances.

HSCV Class of Success 01 was kick started in September 2008. To date, 10 students have applied for the post high school scholarships offered by HSCV. Majority of these students are graduates from the HSCV Educational Scholarships Program, an initiative which offers sponsorship of education to children through the 12th grade. These children have been invited to apply for admission to the colleges and vocational schools of their preference. HSCV seeks to provide each student a scholarship which is most-suited to their capabilities and interests. Each student will receive funding which will cover their tuition fees, supplies, housing and transportation costs.

Our students have just finished the first semester of the 2008 – 2009 school year. They have all been working diligently on their studies and excited about their futures. And after their first semester of school, our HSCV scholars have sent their letters with special update to share their progress and new challenges in their lives. In their own words they explain the difficulties in their lives, the challenges a new school brings, and their studying result of the first semester. Some of the students have found their new courses difficult while others continue to be at the top of their class. All of the students are thankful for the opportunity they have received.

Here are extract of a letter of our HSCV scholars who are in their first semester of school.

“ Firstly I would like to send my best regards to everyone in the Humanitarian Services for Children of Vietnam. I would like to thank all the sponsors who have helped my family and given me the chance to pursue my education like my other friends. After my graduation in high school, I stayed at home to help my parents at the farm. My father has been suffering from spinal column injury and he is unable to do tough manual work. My mother has to do all the farming work and household chores on her own. When I first heard about the new program of HSCV to help students who graduated from high school to pursue their studies further, I was really excited. I am currently studying in the Hanoi Kindergarten Teachers Training Vocational School. There are many more subjects to study now than in high school and the studying is much more difficult. I did not get the good marks in some subjects for the first semester. In March this year, I will retake tests for some of these subjects and I promise to get good marks this time.


I am starting the second semester and at this time, I have to cope with new challenges with the computing subject which I have never have studied before. I have not been able to type with ease like my friends in the class but I’m determined to work harder to improve.

Finally, I wish you, my donor, good health and prosperity. I would like to thank you very much for your help that help reduce the hardship of my family. I hope you will have more programs to help children with financial difficulties like me.

Nguyen Thi Hang “


To learn how you can support our Post High School Scholarships please visit our website at http://www.hscv.org/scholarships_post_high_school.htm

Blogged by Do Thi Thuy Hong

No comments:

Post a Comment